Chester Falls to Maroa

Season ends in second round of playoffs


Mallary Vasquez

Nick Meyer throws a pass in Chester’s second round playoff game.

Mallary Vasquez

Owen Korando, Sports Editor

Chester falls to the Maroa-Forsyth Trojans 49-12 in the second round of the IHSA Class 2A playoffs.

On the first play from scrimmage, the Jackets’ offense fumbled the ball giving the Trojans a short field which led to a 7-0 lead. On the next drive, the Jackets’ offense drove down the field. The drive ended on a touchdown pass from Nick Meyer to Ethan Rayburn. The Yellow Jackets quickly got the ball back on offense when Ethan Bert stripped the ball out of the hands of the Trojans’ running back. The offense failed to move the ball from the 2-yard line and was forced to punt. The Trojans then mounted a scoring drive and scored with 42 seconds left in the first quarter. On 3rd and 10, Meyer completed a pass to Ethan Bert for 72 yards. The Yellow Jackets then took a time out with the play clock running out. Meyer then threw a 16-yard jump ball to Keith Kiner for a touchdown. With this touchdown, Kiner tied the school record for most receiving touchdowns in a season. The game was now 14-12.

The Trojans now had the ball back and were moving down the field very efficiently when Meyer punched the ball out of the hands of a Trojans’ wide receiver and the fumble was recovered by Erik Cowell at the 3-yard line. The Yellow Jackets’ drive stalled and they were forced to punt yet again. The Trojans used the short field to their advantage, scoring a touchdown to put them up 21-12 with 3:07 left in the first half.  The Trojans held the Jackets’ offense scoreless to end the first half with a lead of 21-12.

On the first play from scrimmage in the second half the Trojans fumble was recovered by Drake Bollman and things were looking up for the Yellow Jackets. The drive stalled for the Yellow Jackets and they had to punt. The Trojans put together another scoring drive to put them up 28-12 with 8:31 left in the third quarter. Just a little later Meyer’s pass was intercepted. This led to yet another Trojans touchdown and a 35-12 deficit. The Yellow Jackets then put together a solid drive chewing over 6 minutes of time off the clock. Meyer’s pass was then intercepted with 1:08 left in the third quarter to seal the game for the Trojans. The final score was 49-12.

Chester ended its season 7-4.