The Controversy of School Dress Codes

Jaci South

School dress codes have been a hotly-debated topic for many years, all across the country, but it has hit Chester High School hard these past few years. At the beginning of this school year, it was announced that leggings with mesh would be banned. In addition to this, ripped jeans were also forbidden, even with leggings underneath. These new rules are in addition to controversial rules that have always been in place, such as bra straps not being allowed to be shown.

When found in violation of the dress code, a student must be given a change of clothes from his or her parents. If a parent cannot come, which often happens, the student is placed in an alternative classroom “until the problem is corrected.” The administration seems to find it necessary to hide students away when their clothes are deemed inappropriate – even when the “inappropriateness” is simply having a pair of ripped jeans over leggings. Most students, when they are found violating this rule, simply take the ripped jeans off, seeing as leggings are not in violation of the dress code. However, one female student who did this, was allegedly told that her leggings were too tight. 

The Controversy of School Dress Codes

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Even though this may sound absurd, it’s been even more severe in times past. One student, who has since graduated from Chester High School, was found in violation of the rules for wearing a dress and leggings when under a different administration. Seeing as she did not have her license and no parent was available to bring her new clothes, she was made to walk a mile and a half home to change. An eyewitness recalls it being a fairly cold day.

Many students feel like their voices are not being heard with the administration. School rules are meant to protect students’ well being and education, so one would think that the administration would consult the students’ opinions on the rules. Upon asking the student body, The Sting found that a majority of female students agree that a school dress code is necessary, but not to its current extent. Male students seemed to be neutral on it – likely because they are very rarely targeted by the administration for dress code violations. In fact, even when a change in administration led to a stricter dress code last year, male students were still allowed to go shirtless in our physical education classes. This made several girls, who were either in the gym class or simply walking past it, very uncomfortable. Principal Meyer did say gym teachers were told after the issue came up last year that being shirtless is no longer appropriate.

It’s time that students become a more integral part of the rule-making process, especially when it comes to dress codes. High school students, while being expected to act like adults, are treated like children incapable of setting boundaries for themselves and their peers. Including students in crafting the handbook would greatly help to relieve the tension that has set onto Chester High School between students, teachers, and administration.