Advice to Freshmen

Mallary Vasquez, Sting Ad Manager

Welcome to the 2020 school year! With each new school year, Chester High School welcomes a new freshmen class each time, all different from the last. Honestly, coming into high school from grade school can seem terrifying. Figuring out where the classes are, new teachers, new rules, and new people can be a confusing and scary time. Luckily, there are plenty of tips from people who have gone through the same experiences. 

• Follow the rules!

Probably the most basic thing to ever be said, but yet a fairly vital thing. Spending time in ACR and detention is no fun thing; after all, this isn’t the Breakfast Club. Some people think that breaking some rules is a “cool thing” to do when, in reality, you most likely are just annoying your classmates, teachers, and possibly even damaging your record for college.

• Join some clubs and sports!

Here at Chester High School, there are varieties of clubs and sports. Activities such as SADD, Sting, and even the theatre department are all ways to get connections with classmates to make friends and to have a hobby to spend some time on. 

• Be kind to each other!

For the next four years, the class of 2023 may change as people come and go, but in reality, making enemies so earlier in these four years would not be the brightest idea. Some people may seem agitating and unpleasant, but it is better to try to be kind to everyone you encounter.

• Know its okay to ask for help from upperclassmen!

The beginning of the school year can be difficult trying to figure out where and when things are. It may seem intimidating to talk to the classes above, but they are willing to help. Everyone was a freshman once and can most likely relate to how it feels to not fully understand how things in high school work. However, it is never okay to pester or bully older peers; they’ve been here too long for that.

• Be respectful to teachers!

Teachers deserve the most respect. Their jobs are stressful and demanding, so they deserve to be respected. It is understandable to have a bad day, but snapping on your teachers is one of the last things to do. It also never hurts to give a smile or a hello to your teachers, or maybe even ask how their day is going! They are human, too, with personalities and life experiences. 

• Try to attend class as much as possible

Some days, getting out of bed to go to school in the morning feels like an impossible task, but it is one that needs to be done. Missing school is nice in the moment, but it really causes more pain. The amount of work missed can really be a burden to those who miss school. To add insult to injury, missing too much school can result in not being exempt from exams. Being sick is understandable, and no one in the building wants to catch something from someone who should be at home resting. However, there is a fine line between being sick and straight up skipping.  

High school can seem pretty intimidating going in. With the right idea, though, it can be a piece of cake. It may not seem like it, but this time is going to fly by! Enjoy high school and adolescence as much as you can while it lasts. Also, please walk on the RIGHT side of the hallway.