Chasing the Championship 2.0

Lily Smith

Lily Smith

The Chester High school Band rehearses for the IHSA organizational contest.

Melody Colonel, Editor

One goal, one department, one year.
This year has been a challenging one for the CHS music department. From the need for certain equipment to being split into two periods, this year has been nothing but crazy. Despite the circumstances, the department has risen to the challenge. Knowing that it was very likely that Chester will be moving to Class B for the IHSA Music Sweepstakes Competition, this was the make or break year for the department.
Going into last week, Chester had no clue what to expect. The first round of the competition was Solo and Ensemble contest, where students had to record videos of them singing or playing their instrument as a solo performer or in small ensembles. No one knew what to expect when it came to the judging criteria because of this crazy year. After the first part of the competition Chester had 285 total points. 132 points in band, 6 points in orchestra, and 147 points in vocal rounded out the total numbers.
The band recent found out that only 50 members (including the director) are allowed to perform at organizational contest, which is the second part in the competition. All four ensembles will perform at contest. “I’m very excited to see how it all plays out after organizational contest,” Colonel said.
We wish luck to our musicians and will keep the student body up to date in the coming weeks!