Jackets Down AJ In Opener

The Chester Yellow Jackets host Pinckneyville Nov. 23 in their home opener.

The Chester Yellow Jackets Boys Basketball Team traveled to Anna-Jonesboro on Tuesday, Nov. 23, competing in 3 games. The varsity posted a come-from-behind 46-42 win in their season opener.
The freshmen played the first game and came out hot in the 1st quarter but weren’t able to come home with the win. Tray Peters led the freshmen in scoring.
The Junior Varsity team was battling back and forth throughout the 1st half but came out ready in the 2nd and slowly started to gain a lead before eventually pulling away and securing the win.
The Varsity team started their game hot, going on a 12-3 run, but went into the half down by 1 point. Anna-Jonesboro was on fire from deep in the 3rd quarter and would put up a 7-point lead going into the 4th. Chester didn’t give up and continued to fight their way back into the game before eventually gaining a 2-point lead with a minute left in the game. After a great defensive stand, Chesters Devonte Palacio would hit the game-sealing free throw, putting Chester up by 4 with 3 seconds left in the game. Chester would win 46-42.
Seniors Gavin Schroeder and Chance Mott led the team in scoring with 14 and 11 points. Sophomore Devante Polacio had 9 points.
The Chester Boys Basketball Team will host Pinckneyville High School on Nov. 23 at Colbert Memorial Gymnasium.
The freshmen game will start at 5 p.m., with JV and Varsity to follow.