Jackets End Season With Loss To Freeburg

Kerringtyn Malley

Devante Palacio drives for a basket in the win over Wesclin.

Clayton Andrews, Sting Sports Editor

The Chester Yellow Jackets Boys Basketball Team faced off against Freeburg in the first round of regionals, losing 71-48 on Feb. 18.
The Jackets were going bucket for bucket with Freeburg but a run from the Midgets helped propel them to a 15-point halftime lead. The Jackets weren’t able to fight their way back into the game.
Gavin Schroeder led the team in scoring with 16, followed by Chance Mott with 11, Trace Fricke with 11, Devante Polacio with 6, Lucas Thompson with 3, and Kolton Jany with 1.
This game marks the end of the season and the end of 5 seniors’ high school careers. These seniors include Trace Fricke, Chance Mott, Gavin Schroeder, Clayton Andrews, and Jacob Handel.
The boys finished with a 13-19 record.

The Jackets played at home against Wesclin on February 15th for their Senior Night, winning 43-42. The Yellow Jackets finished third in conference with a 6-4 record.

Senior basketball and cheer members were honored before the game with band and dance being honored at halftime.

The Jackets got off to a hot start on the offensive side, scoring 21 points in the first quarter. The offense slowed down but the defense stayed strong and the Jackets held a 7 point lead going into halftime. Wesclin battled back into the game and took the lead going into the fourth quarter. Chester and Wesclin went back and forth throughout the fourth quarter but a late bucket from Chester and some great defense on the last posession helped Chester to a 43-42 win. Gavin Schroeder led the Yellow Jackets in scoring with 17, followed by Chance Mott with 14, Devante Polacio with 10, and Kolton Jany with 2.

Basketball Seniors include Clayton Andrews, Trace Fricke, Jacob Handel, Chance Mott, and Gavin Schroeder.

Cheer Seniors include Maleia Absher, Emma Eggemeyer, Savanna Guebert, Reese McCormick, and Paige Thomas.

Dance Seniors include Paige Vasquez.