Chester Cheerleaders Qualify For IHSA State Competition

The Chester cheer squad will be competing in the virtual state competition on March 13.

Haley Hoskin, Sting Reporter

After tons of weirdness this year, we are finally getting some normal. As sports are coming back, there are many complications with them overlapping each other. One of the main sports right now is Competitive Cheerleading.
The Chester cheer squad has qualified for the IHSA state meet. It will be held virtually on March 13.
They placed 5th in the Edwardsville Sectional with 89.47 points. Also advancing were Carterville, 95.2; Breese Central, 92.8; Pinckneyville, 92.49; and Mater Dei, 92.49.
The Chester squad bested teams from Anna-Jonesboro, Vienna, Nashville, Murphysboro, West Frankfort and Red Bud.
The Freshman are Dyson Helmers, Ellen McCormick, Bethany Baughman, and Amanda Kennon. Sophomores are Savannah Guebert, Emma Eggemeyer, and Reese McCormick. Juniors are Hannah Blechle and Alex Hennrich. Seniors (team captains) are Kennedy Herrell and Lauren Soellner.
Baughman said she thinks that this season is fun but still different in a good way.
“With all the social distancing, it is hard to do much of anything nowadays but we are slowly getting back to normal,” she said.